SOLD OUT - Anointing the Broken with Golden Seams
Kintsugi is a traditional Japanese art form originating from 15th century Japan. Following the aesthetics of the Wabi-Sabi school, it is a time-honored craft where artisans meticulously repair beloved broken ceramic cups and bowls using Urushi lacquer and flour, then dusting the repaired seams with gold. The repair turns the broken seams of the ceramics golden, turning the broken plate or bowl into unique works of beauty. Built on the idea that in embracing flaws and imperfections, the technique highlights the repaired seams as part of the design, creating a stronger, more beautiful piece of art.
Using this as a metaphor for healing ourselves teaches us an important lesson: Sometimes in the process of repairing things that have broken, we often create something unique, beautiful, and more resilient than before.
The traditional craft of Kintsugi is a slow and meticulous process of applying Urushi lacquer, drying, and sanding; often taking months to complete.
A modern take on the traditional techniques, this Kintsugi-inspired workshop will introduce learners to the craft and aesthetics of Kintsugi, taking on the craft using modern food-safe resins instead.
The workshop includes a special kintsugi kit, consisting of a handmade ceramic tea bowl to practice the kintsugi process on, as well as enough material to repair a couple of pieces at home.
- 1 session
- 3 hours
- A special kit inclusive of a handmade ceramic tea bowl and all materials needed for the workshop
Things To Take Note:
- This workshop is available only on scheduled dates currently.
Terms and Conditions:
- Non - refundable and non - negotiable.
- Kindly arrange for a friend to replace you if you are unable to attend the workshop.
- Strictly by appointment and comes only at appointed time with no extra guests.
- We have restriction on the number of users present at any one time in the studio to ensure the necessary 1 metre distance between each user.
- MANDATORY contact tracing via SafeEntry
- Masks to be worn properly at all times.
The 8TH Floor Creative Space reserves the rights to cancel any online enrollment without refund which we deemed inappropriate and / or false declarations when using this website for course enrollment or other purposes.
The company may change, add, suspend, cancel, remove or otherwise modify the services offered on this website at any time without prior notice.